Tuesday, March 4, 2014

On Signing up for the CrossFit Open and Post Whole30 Plans.

Apparently when I posted all my stuff about the CrossFit body and what I was and was not willing to do at the box, Boudreaux decided that he was going to sign up for the CF Game Open, and my competitive spirit got the best of me and there was no way I was going to let him compete and I was just going to sit and watch and be jealous, so I totally signed up. Obviously of course, I'm still not willing to spend 12 hours a week or more at the box to look like a competitor, but here's what I've realized since signing up:
  • I actually needed this. Until I signed up and did the first open workout, I didn't actually realize how so depressed I've been. I thought mild/moderate, but I think it's been more moderate to severe. I have found that my attitude, just in general, has completely changed since Saturday. Now, I know part of this is sleep, Boudreaux being home, and being on quarter break, and just in general being done with my second crappy quarter in a row, and looking forward to the coming quarter and my research project. 
  • A lack of competitive drive I think does depress me. I think I need to feel like I'm actively working toward something. Or I need to feel like I'm challenging myself. I think I've been feeling sorry for myself a lot lately, feeling like the way the programming at the box was against me (ridiculous, I know. Depression/anxiety much?), like there was no way I was going to be able to work up to the RX or Competitor level. But now, since I am competing in the Open, the Competitors work outs at the box are being programmed around those competing in the Open, so now I get to do the competitor work outs (still scaled down), but I feel like my old self again. I think I was just lacking in confidence.
  • It also means that I'm more likely to stick to my plan of Whole6 during the week and keeping the treats for the weekend after the Open workouts. Or even if not Whole6, it will mean that I'm more likely to stick to a 90/10 plan here. (This is how I know I should have done a Whole60 and just kept going--I still need lots of work).
  • Do I need to feel tough? clearly. Do feel tough now and confident? Yes. And if that's what I need to help get me through this next quarter and get the article written, then yes, this is all good. 
So what are my post Whole30 plans? Inspired by the Caffeine30 and the Sister30, I'm going to do the Swee'Pea Journal30 and the Article30.
  • Swee'Pea30--a couple of months ago I started writing in a journal for the baby about her day and her life up the point when I started writing, and I had been doing well with it. It's something I want to do for both her and I. But this last month because of school and exhaustion, I let a whole month go by without writing to her. Starting tomorrow, I will faithfully write something to her everyday for 30 days and hope that I can re-establish that habit. It's something that I want to do and have missed doing because I'll just go to bed and forget. I hate that.
  • Article30--I have six weeks to get a draft of my article written to bring to my scholars writing group. My goal then really for the next 45 days (starting tomorrow) is to do 30-60 minutes worth of work toward this, whether it's reading or writing. The goal is 60 minutes, but that might not be feasible every day, so if I get 30 in, then I'll consider that a success. And I plan to keep doing updates on my progress here, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment