Saturday, July 14, 2012

Days 8-9 (Recap)

Lots of great stuff going on over here at Chez Disceaux. The only thing we're still struggling with is how to get Boudreaux full. For him a question of fat calories. We've got the protein, the fruits, veggies, and nuts, but absent the grains, I've got to get him so more fat calories to fill his 6'1" frame. Perhaps I'll ask the trainer.

That's right! I said trainer! We have a BRAND!NEW!DEVELOPMENT here! A CrossFit box opened on Monday in our town. We didn't think it would ever happen. We thought if we wanted this to happen we'd have to open our own someday. But no! Someone did! (Thank god. I don't know if either of us is cut out to own and run a business). I was seriously weeks away from buying a kit for the house and converting the office into an office/gym because I'm about to max out here on what I can do with what I have. Turns out, I've already maxed out my home equipment. We joined Thursday and I've done stuff that I haven't done in  a really long time or have never done before (like a handstand! by myself!). And the weight that I was working with was what I lifted when I left Fancy Expensive State a year ago (and haven't lifted that heavy since), so that tells me that a) I was doing something right at home and b) I'm stronger than I thought I was--probably not by much, but it's true. Granted I could have the deluxe kit for my home with what I will pay for mine and Boudreaux's membership this year, but we get unlimited box time and the benefit of a trainer and unlimited classes. Plus, I've never been involved in anything from the ground up. We are "original" members of this box! Woot! (Best part, in the morning, takes us less than 4 minutes to get there, door to door!)

So what does this have to do with the Whole30? I don't know if the tide is turning on the energy thing or if it's excitement about joining a box, but I'm definitely feeling like I've got more energy now than I did at the beginning of the week. I didn't even realize until I looked at the fridge this morning that when we go to class today, this will be day 6 in a row of workouts, and I'm pumped for class today! Generally, at this point in the week I'm tired to the point of tears and exhausted, but I'll recap the last couple of days.

Day 8--I had planned to not workout, remember. I thought I needed the rest. We found out there was a CrossFit box, checked it out, signed the form, joined on-line, showed up for our first class that afternoon. Stoked! So I ended up not resting at all.

Day 9--I was so pumped about the 6 am class that I hardly slept (plus the mutt was driving us nuts because he's furry, and he's miserable right now) and was up at 4 am. We went to class--I fear that I'm going to be the annoying girl at 6 am, but I'm so excited about this right now, I can't contain myself. Anyway, up at four and then a full on day. No nap! And the workout was tough. I can feel every muscle in my upper body right now. I took the dog to get shaved (he slept so much better last night), and then I spent the whole morning cleaning and organizing (we got new storage stuff). Then to avoid that stuff, I cooked for 2.5 hours! Yes, 2.5 voluntary hours in the kitchen! Yesterday was one of those days when I just felt like doing food prep and cooking. I did lay on the couch and I tried to nap, because I had been up since 4, but I seriously couldn't. And while I was doing all that cooking, I so wanted some wine because really, 2.5 hours of working with food and no wine? Seems cruel and unusual. But we had the Games streaming, and I thought to myself, "shit, if I can't give up wine/chocolate/unhealthy stuff for 30 days for the purpose of cleaning up my diet, then I'm never going to be able to make it to the Games to compete." So now it's more about proving to myself that I can do this because my ultimate goal is to make it to the Games.

Anyway, to be honest, I was surprised that I had all of that in me given some crappy sleep and being up at 4. Again, this might be adrenaline because of the excitement over the CrossFit box and looking forward to going there every day, even though, like I said, I am sore as all get out here today, but I'm up and jazzed and ready to go! I will confess and say that I'm glad class is at 9 today and not 6 (although there are several other classes not at 6, but I prefer the early one).

I made a ton of food last night, obviously if I was in the kitchen for 2.5 hours. I made Eggplant Strata and Bora Bora fire meatballs with Sunshine Sauce, all of which can be found in Well Fed. We had some salad, too. Boudreaux got enough to eat, and we even had leftovers, which I'm glad because after 2.5 hours cooking, I want not to have to do that again today because I need to finish up the project I started yesterday, and ultimately want to be done with everything by tomorrow night because I haven't done any of my own work this week, and that needs to start happening.

Today is Day 10. I'm definitely feeling the upswing in the energy. And since I used all my energy during the day because I had energy, I slept like a log last night. If the Red Rocket was active, I didn't feel him (but I think the haircut helped him). And I got a solid 9 hours of sleep last night, woke without the alarm, and that's fabulous.

Also, one thing I've noticed too over the last couple of days--either I'm getting enough protein now or enough fat on my end that I've noticed the sugar cravings have started to subside. Boudreaux made some Paleo ice cream and we had it with fruit and honey, but I wasn't tearing through the kitchen looking for it, like "must have sugar in any form now!" Rather, we had a nice dinner, we were both still hungry enough that we could have eaten dinner again, so we had dessert. And when dessert was done, I wasn't like, "ooooh, I wish there were more! I need more!" And I don't crave it during the day any more either, so that's really really great. It's kind of nice actually not to be a slave to the sugar demon. We'll see if that continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment