Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Whole30, Day 2-Day3 (yesterday & today)

Yesterday was much more smooth than Day 1. I still really wanted that wine last night. The afternoon went well until the Swee'Pea's ear started hurting her and the squealing began, and we just couldn't get her to settle down (poor baby). It was frustrating in part because I can't just take away the pain, and I had a ton of grading to get through and it was going so well until the meltdown. I know that sounds selfish because it had appeared that I would finish and then be able to enjoy the evening, but baby girl had other plans. At least though we found out this morning it's sinus pressure and teething pain rather than an ear infection.

Usually, this is when I would have grabbed the wine. But since I couldn't have the wine, I had to just deal with the situation rather than taking comfort in the wine, which should be enjoyed rather than reaching for it because the baby is driving me nuts. So it's good to have that thrust upon me. And I just put some kombucha in a wine glass and called it a night (which I know that's the same as eating a Paleo cookie, but oh well). I am happier though that the baby is fine rather than her regular state of illness.

I was really hungry yesterday afternoon, and I did snack. Since I worked out two days in a row, first time in weeks, which is its own adjustment, I should have accounted for that, but it was ok. I made up for it at dinner.

Recap:
  • I didn't sleep quite as well last night as the night before, but even though I tossed and turned a little bit, mostly due to the dog sleeping on me, I still woke up before my alarm this morning, and I woke up feeling rested. 
  • Even though I was rested, I did still feel tired, but not like I could've have kept sleeping. It was weird to be rested and tired at the same time. And I was very very sore from the last two day's workouts, and after reading the Whole30 Day 3 daily email about Day 3 tiredness and taking it easy on the workouts, that confirmed my decision to take an off day today. Four days this week at CF will be plenty for my return and for week 1.
  • I woke up with a headache this morning, which I guess is par for the course, especially for Day 3. So I'm trying to pound the water. Mom is actually doing much worse on this front today than I am, but I am doing surprisingly well. Tonight I get baby monitor duty, so we'll see how I sleep tonight and how I feel tomorrow.
  • Like Monday night, falling asleep has been much easier. And I'm tired at night. I feel like already this is making a marked difference in my sleep.
Here are some other things from the last couple of days that are unusual which I attribute already to the Whole30:
  • Concentration is way up. Even when I'm in a rush to prep for class and I have to skim what I'm teaching (stuff I've read multiple times. Fear not; I'm not that much of a slacker.) I feel like I can focus better already.
  • This is the first time this quarter I'm caught up on work. I can't even believe it! Even with Swee'Pea throwing a wrench in my grading plans yesterday afternoon, I was still able to finish the grading (probably, too, because I didn't have wine!), got the grades calculated and gave them back to the students when I said I would. And because I had two days of good food in my system, I was seriously just able to sit down and get it done. And that was after getting all of my grading done on Monday. I was hoping that this would fall into place like that. 
  • This is also the first time this quarter that I don't feel behind or stressed. And when I'm done with this post I'll actually be able to work on getting a little bit ahead. That means that tomorrow's office hours are open to get the papers that come in tomorrow knocked out. 
  • I honestly just do not feel as manic or stressed right now either. And I'm glad that I'm caught up because I am very much looking forward to just vegging with the folks tonight. Day 3 is a good night to rest up!
I am not anticipating a "kill all the things" day tomorrow--perhaps because I had several of those last week, but we'll see. Day 4 is about as notorious as Day 10/11, but in all honesty, I feel like it's going much better so far than I anticipated. I'm expecting some rough patches, but I'm hopeful and pleased thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment