Sunday, April 27, 2014

Whole30 Day35

Still plugging away here on the Whole30. It's past the 30 days, but last week and this coming week the box is have a PR partner challenge, and one month's membership is at stake. So I'm staying on the Whole30 until it's over on Friday. Here's why:

20 PRs in 34 days.

That's a lot of PRs.

Now, it's not like it's anything major. 5# to a lift here and there, but as I've been really struggling since having the baby 10 months ago now! (wow!), I need this. And I've actually gotten almost three (I think) really solid months of training in. It might be only two (I have to check my book which isn't near me), but I've been able to do a lot since the Open I feel like. And most of the time I'm feeling better. I certainly feel better in the gym since I'm not eating crap.

I did do my weight and measurements on Day 31 though. 4 pounds down, 9 inches lost, about a dress size down, lots of improvements in strength. A bit disappointed in the weight loss aspect, and I really was hoping to have gotten closer to my pre-pregnancy size, but for me, clearly, this is a very very slow process. I am at least getting stronger and gaining some muscle here, too. So I have to accept that I'm making progress and not get too down on myself about it. Considering where I was a month ago, I've made some big gains/losses I think.

A couple of things though. I don't think I'm getting enough food/calories. The first two weeks I was feeling great, but the last week and a half or so, not so much. I'm getting enough sleep and despite the number of PRs I put up, I am actually taking some solid rest days (sometimes three a week), so I'm not overworking at the gym. I'm not a huge fan of logging my food, especially since I'm eating clean, but I think I need to to see if I'm getting enough energy in.

According to the Eat To Perform calculator, I should be taking in about 400 more calories than I am, and if yesterday's log is typical, then I am fine on the fats but low on the protein and carbs lately. So, for the next week, I am going to work on adjusting these things and see how I feel because I'm getting cranky and bitchy lately, and it's got to be some dehydration, lack of calories, or both.

I'm starting the Whole Life Challenge on Saturday, too, with my sister (it's really for her). And rather than continue hard core as I have been, I am going to allow myself a treat here and there when I want (but no more than once a week), and see how I feel and function on a maybe 90/10 Paleo scheme here. I think I got about another week of the Whole30 in me, and I'm motivated mainly by wanting to win the PR challenge, and I don't want diet to be the thing that boots me out of the competition, so I will carry on, and save my treat for Friday night. But we'll see how adding calories and carbs and protein goes this week. I don't want to follow the ETP plan because the reviews had a lot of people say they got soft and fat, strong, but soft and fat, and that's the opposite of what I want. But I have been suspicious over the last week and a half that I've not been eating enough lately for the amount of energy I'm expending in the gym and just in life in general, and I think that's why I'm not able to get the work done that I need to like I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment