Friday, August 8, 2014

Putting it into perspective

As I've been chronicling the last year that I've actually really been on this blog, one of the things I've been down on myself a lot about is my performance at the box. Everyone seems to be much stronger than I am, and my judgmental and competitive sides get to me quite a bit and I'm all like "how can she be lifting more than me?"

While I was being a mopey, whiney, depressed brat this morning, I got to thinking about what I can do, and I put it into perspective.

Yes, it's true I started CrossFit in July of 2012. But then I got pregnant in October of 2012. So I had 4 months of CF to establish some sort of base before I got pregnant. And while I was pregnant, I was just trying to stay fit. There were no gains except one PR on a split jerk from the bar early on.

So I sort of went back in September of 2013. I was still recovering from a c-section, so mostly I was relearning technique to accommodate the new boobs and the lack of belly. Then I was out again for the spider bit and then not able to really train because of the elimination diet and the severe lack of calories. I was just too weak. Then came Christmas, more sick baby, the flu, emergency rooms, no sleep, etc. So life with a sick kid during the wintertime when others get sick, too.

I will say then that my true return and real start of training began with this year's Open.

The stuff that I did with the Open, the base that I had, had all been the base I had before I got pregnant. I worked backed up to that base within a few months of my off and on return, but was never able to really get past it. But since February, this is what I've done:

  • Increased my clean and jerk by a whopping 35#
  • Increased my overhead squat by 20#
  • Got kipping pull-ups
  • Went from 1 rep at a time on deadlifts at 155 to 5 TNG DLs at 155, for multiple sets
  • PR'd my back squat, twice (not by much, but hey, it's something)
  • Increased my front squat by 20 some odd pounds
  • PR'd my strict press by 5#
  • Three months ago I didn't get through 50 squats of mini-Murph in the 30 minute time cap; yesterday I finished it with a minute to spare. 
  • My working sets now for cleans are around 80#. Before like March, I had only gotten up 80# once in my life in a powerclean, and it wasn't really a clean, more like a reverse curl.
That's a lot, IMHO, in six months of work. And I think about what I came in with in February and have done, if I put it into perspective, the people who lift that or more have been working on those lifts for 18-24 months (most of them). If I can stay healthy and train consistently between now the first of the year, I may be able to catch up with some of these women. 

Putting it into perspective really helps me not be so down on myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment