Thursday, August 23, 2012

Close to being really tired here.

Oy! I'm a tad tired this week and a little bit broken down.

I have to confess that I'm not entirely sure why I'm as tired as I am. I mean, I feel a bit more tired than normal. On Monday I took 2 naps. Yes, that's right, 2. Fortunately I have that luxury right now.

But I suspect I may know what's going on. I just don't want to acknowledge it.

Part of it is that Boudreaux has started going to the 5 am class, which means that when he gets up at 4:15, I get up at 4:15. I make the coffee then; I make the lunches; I make the breakfasts, and then I go to the 6 am class. I have been getting up 30-45 minutes earlier this week.

Perhaps it's the accumulation of 6 weeks of CrossFit taking its toll because I don't actually rest that much right now. Here's why: I know I will have to when classes begin, and I actually have to start working again. Right now, if I'm tired, then I can nap and recover, so I can't force myself to take a mid-week break. Yesterday, I may have perhaps, for the first time, really overdid it because, like Maverick, my ego likes to write checks my body can't cash, and I really really struggle with the fact that after 6 weeks (to the day) I'm not perfect at every single thing, and it's driving me nuts. And I do often walk a fine line between pushing myself and stupidity. I think I may have tipped the scales into the stupid realm yesterday because today I am ate up.

So when I break it down, since the box opened, in the last 6 weeks I've had only 7 rest days, and two of those were because of travel; otherwise it'd be only 5 actually. Yeah, okay, so no wonder I'm tired, broke down, worn out.

But I HATE missing out on stuff!! But today is definitely a day in which I would have benefited from a rest day. My shoulders are so tight that I had trouble even with the PVC drills overhead. And we won't even talk about the rebar that is the left side of my body right now. It's so bad that I just put my pants onto the floor and try to step into the leg holes and make a reach for it in the hopes of grabbing the waistband and hoisting whatever needs to go on the lower half of my body up. Sheesh. I can honestly say though that in my condition today, thrusting 65 pounds of weight overhead for 100 reps would have been impossible. But I'm pissed that I had to do only 55#. But if I were smart and rested and let my muscles recover, then I probably could have gotten that. But I hate missing workouts! You see the problem.

So, I'm tired. I'm starting to get cranky around 2 pm, so I know that there's some kind of adjustment going on here.

Another real issue this week, too, is that I've been exceptionally LAZY with our food because I've been tired. And I've been tired because of our food. About every four weeks I just kind of zone out and don't prepare, get lazy, etc. I just get tired. But this is something that I'm really going to have to work on when classes restart. I will have to spend part of Saturday prepping the food for the week. I will have to have a plan not only for dinner but for lunches as well. Preparation is going to be key here. Plus, an hour or two on Saturdays is going to save me like 5 hours I don't have during the week.  And if I keep that in mind (this worked when I applied to my teaching prep last year), then life will be easier.

That's all I can process on this for today. I do think that I need to consider a Whole60 after Labor Day. I've got that weight to keep budging and more inches to go. Aside from the vanity issues, I'm still not quite where I want to be health-wise yet. I think there are things on which I clearly need to keep working, especially because I feel more often than not, I do still get an afternoon slump that I'm not too keen on, and about once a week I still get that "tired but wired" feeling before bed. So I clearly have some more work to do. And I need the clean eating to help me stay on top of my work, too, during the academic year. I think there will be more on this later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment